Jack Reggin

Gameplay Programmer

Jack Reggin

Gameplay Programmer

The Survivors
The Survivors Banner
Genre Battle Royale, First Person Shooter
Engine Unreal Engine 4
Role(s) Gameplay Programmer, Networking Programmer
Language(s) C++, Visual Scripting (Unreal Blueprints)
Team Size 40
Duration 10 months
Genre Battle Royale, First Person Shooter
Engine Unreal Engine 4
Role(s) Gameplay Programmer, Networking Programmer
Language(s) C++, Visual Scripting (Unreal Blueprints)
Team Size 40
Duration 10 months
Within The Survivors I was tasked in implementing a Twitch gameplay system along with assisting any needs for the networking as we wanted a 100 player battle royale experience. In the end, I was able to get the Twitch system into a functional stage, but never to the point that I wanted it to be since we had to re-focus on making sure that the networking would hold up for the closed alpha release on 6 June.

Match Making

Match Making GIF
During the last few weeks of the project before closed-alpha release, I was tasked in making sure that the match making algorithm could creating a match for 2 persons or an unknown variable amount of persons connected to it. My tech lead and I ended up working out some sort of algorithm that was a logarithmic curve (see image below), ensuring that however many people were online, they would be able to find a match within a reasonable amount of time.
Match Making Graph
In reality, this curve turned out to be less than optimal, since it ended up making players wait for more people in a match rather than just giving them a match when a certain threshold of people joined the queue. This meant that players would be waiting a lot longer than we had first desired for them to wait and that the match sizes when getting closer to the bottom end of the curve (~5-10 players) was a unreasonable amount of people to wait for.
The biggest difficulty that we were running into with making such an algorithm was the crazy idea of wanting to have a game intended for 100 players work for only 2 players. This also goes to the other end of the sprectrum in trying to make it work for an unknown amount of people connected/in-queue. It would have been nice to know roughly how many players we would be having before we started working on such an algorithm, so this could be done by marketing our game well in advance and allowing sign-ups a month before release, so that we can get a better idea on the amount of players we'll have to deal with.